Alright, I’ve seen enough. De’Vondre Campbell is my new favorite Packers defender.
When Campbell was signed by general manager Brian Gutekunst in the offseason for a 1 year, $2 million deal, I think I can speak for all of us fans by saying we were a little hesitant.
Obviously Campbell had been in the league for five previous seasons before 2021 for a reason. However, it’s not like he was a big-name free agent by any means. He had solid stats, and his fair share of strengths and weaknesses.
He was a good veteran pickup to hopefully help bolster the defense and lead a young group of inside linebackers.
I don’t think anyone could have predicted that he’d play well as he has up to this point.
“I was talking on the sideline with, I don’t know if it was Marquez Valdes-Scantling or somebody else mid-game,” Aaron Rodgers said post-game on Sunday. “But we just said, how in the hell was this guy on the street?”
Here are some Campbell stats for your Tuesday:
- Campbell is the fourth-highest graded linebacker with at least 100 snaps according to Pro Football Focus.
- He’s got the second-highest run defense grade among linebackers.
- Just five games into the season, Campbell already has as many recorded turnovers (3) with Green Bay as he did in all 68 games with other teams before 2021.
- Campbell has made some of the biggest plays of the season defensively, both in pass coverage and run defense.
- He’s currently fifth in the NFL with 48 total tackles.
“I’m just really glad to have him on our football team,” Matt LaFleur said.
Turn on the tape and watch the Packers defense play football. You can’t miss Campbell. He’s in all the right places, making all the right plays.
It’s been a long time since Green Bay fans have had a dynamic inside linebacker to get excited about. Blake Martinez was a tackling machine, but never was a true star. Maybe prime AJ Hawk? Maybe Nick Barnett? Desmond Bishop when he was healthy?
It’s been that long.
I’m just happy Green Bay has him.
Gunnar Davis is a lifelong Packers fan and a recent graduate of Simpson College, where he was a 3-year letterwinner on the offensive line and graduated with a degree in multimedia communications. You can follow him on Twitter at @Gunnar57Davis.
The post It’s time to talk about Packers inside linebacker De’Vondre Campbell first appeared on PackersTalk.com.