Plus: a look around the weekend that was in the Big Ten; men’s hockey schedule adjustments; and the kids being “lit.”
Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Nebraska).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow (which we NO LONGER DO).
- First road match of the season and the Badgers faithful traveled well. Although, admittedly, Milwaukee isn’t very far away and, uh, a lot of Badgers already live there…whatever, shut up!
Wait. This is a Marquette home game? Sure looks like a lot of red… BADGERS take the first set. 25-15 pic.twitter.com/qvx6LHJ2Ry
— The MadHouse (@TheMadHouseUW) September 12, 2021
- The kids, they are lit.
- The women’s soccer team won their second straight match in overtime, beating Providence 3-2 thanks to Claire Odmark slotting home a winner in the 97th minute, her second goal of the match. It marked UW’s fourth-straight overtime match and its fifth this season. UW is now 2-1-2 in OT this year and 5-1-2 overall on the year.
- The men’s soccer team also notched a victory over the weekend, beating Butler 1-0 on Friday. Tim Bielic scored his first career goal for UW to give the Badgers the much-needed victory.
— Wisconsin Soccer (@BadgerMSoccer) September 12, 2021
- I know we already talked about this over the weekend but I still can’t get over how fast Isaac Guerendo was sprinting on his touchdown run. It is, quite literally, inconceivable to me.
— Brian Mason (@Brian_Mason) September 12, 2021
- The men’s hockey conference schedule now starts a day earlier than originally reported. Huzzah!
— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerMHockey) September 10, 2021
- Iowa pounded Iowa State in their top-10 matchup over the weekend. Can the Hawkeyes offense keep up with their defense?
- Penn State moves into the top-10 ahead of their matchup with Auburn. It’ll be a White Out and College GameDay will be there. Should be an amazing atmosphere in State College.
- No. 20 Utah upset No. 3 Nebraska in volleyball over the weekend.
- Northwestern beat Indiana State on Saturday, although it wasn’t necessarily impressive.
- Ohio State’s defense is booty. Oregon was also more physical than them on Saturday. It was a pretty big coaching failure by the Buckeyes in their loss to the Ducks.
- The Michigan rushing attack looks good early in the season.
- Rutgers football is 2-0 to start the season, but there is still work to be done.
- In a top-10 battle, No. 7 Maryland lost 1-0 to No. 1 Georgetown in men’s soccer.
- The glow of a season-opening win over Nebraska has faded in Champaign. The rebuild for Illinois is going to be a lengthy process.